The Largest Pre-industrial City in the World
Angkor is of interest to archaeologists, historians, explorers, writers, photographers, art collectors and those who are experts and enthusiasts in ancient civilisations.
Began in earnest for the Westerners, since the discovery of Henri Mouhot, French naturalist and explorer who read the record of Sir John Bowring "The Kingdom and People of Siam" had an interest in this region then decided to cross the continent to Siam (Thailand) and Indo-China to explore the Botanic species and discovered Angkor Wat in 1860.
Today, just type only key word "Angkor" in search engine; you will be swamped with a bulk of information or just step into the book stores that specialised in history, art and tourism. You can buy some good books that take you to every corner of Angkor before stepping on the land of Cambodia.
So it is no need to repeat these contents which scholars and professionals have been studied, researched and published them to audiences in all media formats, unless there are stories in the eyes of the individual based on my personal experience.
Ancient Angkor Kingdom (9th century - 15th century, since 802AD)
Angkor civilisation derived from civilisation of India under the Hinduism particularly as Shivaism sect and Vaishnavism sect in the same time with Mahayana Buddhism. Angkor is surrounded by the belief of these things.
As mentioned briefly
- Angkor ruled by Devaraja (God-King) concept that king is the supreme avartar of God.
- Shiva is supreme god for Shivaism, Linga as the symbol of him and Yoni as the symbol of his consort, Uma.
- Vishnu is supreme god for Vaishnavism, Vishnu image as the symbol.
- Mahayana Buddhism emphasises the Bodhisattva, particularly the Avalokiteshvara.
- According to Hindu Cosmology Mount Meru is centre of the universe.
- Mahabharata and Ramayana are the most popular religious literatures, the stories of heroism in the incarnation of God.
- "The Churning of the Sea of Milk" is notably ancient texts that wildly mention in the Hindu religious literatures and works of art.
- Angkorian knowledge of Astronomy and Astrology. The creation of places of worship and various ceremonies are strictly based on them.
More than 700 years of kingdom, there are myriad kings and 10 ages of art.
3 great kings during Angkor period.
King Jayavarman II: Kingdom of Angkor and Devaraja (God-King) founder
King Suryavarman II: Angkor Wat Temple founder
King Jayavarman VII: AngkorThom City founder